I am professor of Health Education and Health Promotion and the chair of the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, since 2000. I was trained as a social psychologist and worked in Groningen and Amsterdam. My research now focuses on theoretical bases of health promotion, attitude-behavior models, non-intentional behaviour, innovation theory and the development and evaluation of interventions in public health, with a special focus on nutrition and physical activity.
In terms of applied projects, I am involved in the role of public information about hereditary factors in health and disease, cancer screening, prevention of mental health problems, self-management of diabetic patients, community interventions, and school health promotion. At present I am associate editor of the Dutch Journal of Medicine and a member of the editorial board of Psychology and Health. In addition, I serve on several research committees of NWO, ZonMW, and the Dutch Foundation for STI and AIDS, and I am member of the board of the Academic Centre for Public Health in Limburg, the Foundation for Scientific Research of the Dutch Association of Health Promotion, and the Dutch Foundation of Mental Health. I chair the National Conference on Public Health and the Foundation DIEP, which supports the self-management of persons with chronic disease.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Health Psychology
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Social Cognition
- Sociology, Social Networks
- Alberts, H. J. E. M., Martijn, C., Nievelstein, F., Jansen, A. T. M., & Vries, N. K. de (2008). Distracting the self: Shifting attention prevents ego depletion. Self and Identity, 7, 322-334.
- Alberts, H. J. E. M., Martijn, C., & Vries, N. K. de (2011). Fighting self-control failure: Overcoming ego depletion by increasing self-awareness. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47(1), 58-62.
- Bessems, K. M., Assema, P. T. van, Paulussen, T. W., & Vries, N. K. de (2011). Evaluation of an adoption strategy for a healthy diet programme for lower vocational schools. Health Education Research, 26(1), 89-105.
- Brouwer, W., Kroeze, W., Crutzen, R., Nooijer, J. M. de, Vries, N. K. de, Brug, J., & Oenema, A. (2011). Which intervention characteristics are related to more exposure to internet-delivered healthy lifestyle promotion interventions? A systematic review. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 13(1), e2.
- Crutzen, R., Nooijer, J. M. de, Brouwer, W., Oenema, A., Brug, J., & Vries, N.K. de (2011). Strategies to facilitate exposure to internet-delivered health behavior change interventions aimed at adolescents or young adults: A systematic review. Health Education & Behavior, 38(1), 49-62.
- Danner, U. N., Aarts, H., Papies, E. K., & Vries, N. K. de (2011). Paving the path for habit change: Cognitive shielding of intentions against habit intrusion. British Journal of Health Psychology, 16(Pt 1), 189-200.
- Danner, U. N., Aarts, H., & Vries, N. K. de (2008). Habit vs. intention in the prediction of future behaviour: The role of frequency, context stability and mental accessibility of past behaviour. British Journal of Social Psychology, 47(Pt 2), 245-256.
- Danner, U. N., Aarts, H., & Vries, N. K. de (2007). Habit formation and multiple means to goal attainment: Repeated retrieval of target means causes inhibited access to competitors. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 33(10), 1367-1379.
- Gerards, S. M., Sleddens, E. F., Dagnelie, P. C., Vries, N. K., de & Kremers, S. P. (2011). Interventions addressing general parenting to prevent or treat childhood obesity. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, 6(2-2), e28-45.
- Grispen, J. E. J., Ronda, G., Dinant, G. J., Vries, N. K. de, & Weijden, T. van der (2011). To test or not to test: A cross-sectional survey of the psychosocial determinants of self-testing for cholesterol, glucose, and HIV. BMC Public Health, 11, 112.
- Gubbels, J. S., Kremers, S. P., Kann, D. H. van, Stafleu, A., Candel, M. J., Dagnelie, P. C., Thijs, C., & Vries, N. K. de (2011). Interaction between physical environment, social environment, and child characteristics in determining physical activity at child care. Health Psychology, 30(1), 84-90.
- Kremers, S., Reubsaet, A., Martens, M., Gerards, S., Jonkers, R., Candel, M., Weerdt, I. de, & Vries, N. de (2010). Systematic prevention of overweight and obesity in adults: A qualitative and quantitative literature analysis. Obesity Reviews, 11(5), 371-379.
- Martijn, C., Alberts, H. J. E. M., Merckelbach, H., Havermans, R. C., Huijts, A., & Vries, N. K. de (2007). Overcoming ego depletion: The influence of exemplar priming on self-control performance. European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 231-238.
- Martijn, C., Alberts, H. J. E. M., Sheeran, P., Peters, G. J., Mikolajczak, J., & Vries, N. K. de (2008). Blocked goals, persistent action: Implementation intentions engender tenacious goal striving. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 1137-1143.
- Papies, E. K., Aarts, H., & Vries, N. K. de (2009). Planning is for doing: Implementation intentions go beyond the mere creation of goal-directed associations. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 1148-1151.
- Schickenberg, B. A., Assema, P. T. van, Brug, J., & Vries, N. K. de (2011). Product samples stimulate choice of unfamiliar healthful food products. Appetite, 57(1), 197-201.
- Sleddens, E. F., Gerards, S. M., Thijs, C., Vries, N. K. de, & Kremers, S. P. (2011). General parenting, childhood overweight and obesity-inducing behaviors: A review. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, 6(2-2), e12-27.
- Sleddens, E. F., Kremers, S. P., Vries, N. K. de, & Thijs, C. (2010). Relationship between parental feeding styles and eating behaviours of Dutch children aged 6-7. Appetite, 54(1), 30-36.
- Smerecnik, C. M. R., Mesters, I., Kessels, L. T., Ruiter, R. A. C., Vries, N. K. de, & Vries, H. de (2010). Understanding the positive effects of graphical risk information on comprehension: Measuring attention directed to written, tabular, and graphical risk information. Risk Analysis, 30(9), 1387-1398.
- Smerecnik, C. M. R., Mesters, I., Vries, H. de, & Vries, N. K. de (2011). An empirical test of the materialist framework for understanding the general population's reaction to nonpersonalized genetic health messages. Journal of Health Communication, 1-13.
- Consumer Behavior
- Decision Making
- Determinants of Health Behaviour
- Health Promotion and Education
- Intervention Mapping
- Introduction in Social Psychology
- Introduction to Public Health
- The Self in Social Psychology
Nanne de Vries
UM / CAPHRI
P.O. Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht
- Skype Name: nannedevries